139 EAST KILBOURN AVE
MILWAUKEE, WI, 53202
Dates: April 21 - 23, 2013
Click here for final program
It is a pleasure to welcome the Association of VA Surgeons to
Milwaukee for its 37th Annual Surgical Symposium April 21-23, 2013.
The venue for this year’s meeting, the Hotel Intercontinental
Milwaukee, is in the heart of downtown Milwaukee near the Milwaukee
Art Museum and the shores of Lake Michigan. The hotel is in the
center of the theatre and entertainment district. The historic Pabst
Theatre is a short walk away, as is the Milwaukee Public Museum.
Be sure to plan a walk along the RiverWalk that meanders through
The Welcome Reception on Sunday evening will be at the Harley-Davidson
Museum, which is both an educational and fun experience. The museum
features motorcycles from the entire 110 year history of the company.
You’ll even get a chance to see what it’s like to sit
on a full sized Harley.
Dr. Berger has awarded the 2013 AVAS Presidential Citation to Dr.
Julie Freischlag, the William Halsted Professor and Chair of Surgery
at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. She will be giving the luncheon address
on Monday, April 22. Dr. Fresichlag’s talk is entitled “Leadership
During Times of Change”.
The Program Committee, chaired by Faisal Bakaeen, has arranged
an excellent and varied program. The program starts on Sunday morning
with a symposium on controversies in surgical management of cancer
patients. The program will continue Sunday afternoon through Tuesday,
with oral presentations, Quickshot presentations, and videos.
Please come to Milwaukee to enjoy the meeting, the exhibits, the
Harley Museum, and the chance to relax with friends.
Gordon Telford, MD, FACS
Local Arrangements Chair
March 25, 2013
Please call Reservations at 800-496-7621
or 414-935-5943 and mention the Association of VA Surgeons or group
To reserve your room online,
Note: This web link does not go automatically
go to the group page. Instead, you have to click “View Rooms
& Rates”, which is in a brown box on the right hand side.
Once you type in the desired dates, it will take you to the group
page to make reservations at the special rate.
Guest Room Amenities
- LCD flat panel TV with high definition picture and in-room
- In-room tea and coffee maker
- Laundry and valet service
- 24-hour room service
- Nightly turn-down service
- High speed internet and wireless service
- Mini bar in Grand King suites
- Hair dryer, bathrobe and slippers
- Lap-top sized In-room safes
- mp3 docking station
- Cordless telephones
- Mini bar snack baskets
- Health club on fourth floor with free weights, treadmills and
- Changing rooms/shower facilities
- Steam rooms and saunas located in the locker room
- Outdoor veranda
- Check-in time is 3:00 pm.
- Checkout time is 12:00 pm.
Registration for the Association of VA
Surgeons' 37th Annual Meeting is now open.
The advance registration deadline
is April 1, 2013. Registration rates will
increase thereafter. All attendees must register for the meeting.
|AVAS ANNUAL MEETING
Cancellation Policy: Cancellation notice
must be received by April 11, 2013. Payment will be refunded less
administrative fee of $25.00. No refunds for no-shows.
Annual Meeting registration includes
admission to all general sessions, Welcome Reception on Sunday evening,
Annual Reception & Banquet on Monday evening, and all scheduled
meals such as breakfast and lunch as noted on the program.
Guest/Spouse registration includes admission to
the Welcome Reception on Sunday evening, Lunch on Monday as well
as the Annual Reception & Banquet on Monday evening.
Our registration form is now online. This will allow you to choose
to pay by credit card instantly or by check which you can mail to
To register Online
here for manuscript submission information
General Mitchell International (MKE)
- Distance 8MI / 12.87KM SOUTH to Hotel
- Shuttle Charge (one way): $13.00 (USD)
- Taxi cost:$25.00 (USD)
- Time by taxi:15 minutes
- Train Charge (one way): $7.50 (USD)
- Time by train:11 minute
- Take I 43 North to I 94 West. Take Exit 310C for I 794 East.
Exit 1D Plankinton Ave (Merge right at fork) then take a right
on Kilbourn. Hotel is on the right.
O'Hare International (ORD)
- Distance 81MI / 130.36KM NORTH to Hotel
- I 190 East to I 294 North to I 94 W. Take I 794 East towards
the lakefront, take Plankinton Ave (Merge right at fork), take
a right on Kilbourn. Hotel is on the right.
- Station Name: Amtrack
- Distance1.5MI / 2.41KM NORTH to Hotel
- Taxi Fee From Train Station:$5.00 (USD)
- Head North on 4th street, then take a right on Kilbourn. Hotel
will be on 4 blocks down on the right.
- Daily Self Parking Fee: $25.00 (USD)
- Underground, secured parking connected to the hotel. Entrances
to parking garage on both Water Street and Kilbourn Avenue. $25
to self park or $32 for valet parking.
- Valet Parking Available: $32.00 (USD)
- Valet Parking Available
- Controlled Access Gates to Parking
- Parking Area Equipped with Lights